beach treasures

Yesterday, as part of my birthday celebration, we went to the beach.

The beach, any beach, any time of the year, is a place of healing for me. There is something about the feel of an ocean breeze, the smell of salt air and the rhythm of waves that instantly brings a sense of wellness to my whole being.


I enjoy walking along the waterline, looking for treasures at my feet, periodically looking out at the expanse of water before me and listening to beach sounds. Mia likes to look for treasures too, so yesterday she and Avery joined me on the hunt.


We found lots of crabs or portions of crabs. They found two partial sand dollars. Avery picked up several things and as he placed them in the bag he said, "You are going to have so many treasures to take home!"

Do you ever get distracted?
I do. 
I definitely was yesterday.

As I walked, looking down at my feet or out, across the sand, searching for a perfect shell or sand dollar, I was disappointed. And kept getting more disappointed because I didn't find any treasures. Sure, Avery's 5 year old self thought those shells he'd picked up for me were treasures, and because they are from him, my heart sees them as treasures. But I wasn't happy. I wanted more. So when the kids tired of looking and went back to Ruth, I kept walking. 

Looking down.
Looking out.
And I still didn't find anything.

Until God whispered, loud and clear.

"You are on the brink of missing out. 
Looking down, looking out, looking ahead, backtracking just in case the ocean washed something ashore isn't going to yield a treasure. You know Better! Nothing is more valuable than time spent with loved ones. But I understand, you don't get to the beach often and today, well, today you were just distracted."
 
I stopped looking for treasures and walked back to the ones I've been with the last 12 days.

I would miss so much beauty if God did not challenge me!

Comments

Popular Posts