wishing that a hug and kiss could make everything better




there was a day 
when a hug 
and a kiss on the hurt place,
was enough to bring great comfort
was enough to stem the flow of tears
was enough to calm hearts and promote healing
whether I was on the receiving end, as a child,
or on the giving end as a mom
and sometimes the hugs were more for me than them

there came a day, as my children grew and matured 
that the bruised or bleeding wounds weren't skinned knees and elbows,
nor broken bones
but broken hearts 
and a hug and listening ear went a long way toward soothing the pain
more than once I've wished I could bear my kids pain
tomorrow, Saturday September 21 holds a hurt like that
one of my babies will bury her husband
four my grandbabies will see their dad for the last time

Michael C Maxey was also
a son, 
a brother, 
a nephew,
a son in law,
a brother in law, 
an uncle
a friend
a co-worker

this is a different kind of grief 
my heart aches in places I didn't know it held
knowing where Mike is and that he is not battling anything anymore 
brings great comfort
but it does not minimize the deep pain for any of us
the first family function he missed was his baby girls 8th birthday tonight
I watched my daughter put on a brave smile for her daughter
and thought "I can do nothing less"
so I smiled and sang Happy Birthday with everyone else who tried to make it happy for her

death stinks
it hurts in a way that there is no preparing for
it leaves deep scars in places both seen and unseen
grief can be relentless
it is exhausting
it is universal
it is unique and personal
I wish I could "hug and kiss" healing into place
but I know there is no magic cure
so I will do what I can, when I can 
I will pray continually and welcome others to join me

Comments

  1. No words for this . . . death wrecks us. So saddened for you. So blessed to know you and your family. So completely joyful there is MORE TO COME because without the MORE TO COME this feels like there is nothing left. Love you! Praying right now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

thank you for taking the time to share

Popular Posts