a blast from the past

Yesterday I stopped at the Mission Thrift Store on Main Street to visit my friend Anita who works there. I was browsing and wandered to the Christmas section. Not that I need anymore decorations, but one never knows what you may find that you absolutely "can't live without". I stopped dead in my tracks. I couldn't believe my eyes. There right in front of me was something I have searched and searched for to no avail. I picked it up and looked at the price. The sticker on the bottom said $20. It definitely was not a $20 candle but I think I would have paid even more than that for it. (I showed Anita the sticker-she said it was only $2)

this isn't just any candle
this is a precious treasure
not because it is "beautiful"
not because it has a wonderful scent
it smells like old paraffin
no, it's value is in the memory I can now hold in my hands and the illustration I have to show my kids and grandkids when I tell "our" story

Once upon a time, way back in the last century, I was standing in a strategic spot at church one Sunday morning where I could see Bill and hopefully be seen by him. (This was before he and I were we.) Not only did he see me that morning, he began to walk toward me. He had a paper in his hand that he held out toward me as he began speaking.
"We are doing a fundraiser for Akron U Zips Baseball. Would you like to buy a candle?" 

I didn't look at the price.
I didn't care about the price.
I don't know if I even money to buy a candle.
All I knew was if I bought one he'd have to speak to me again.
So I did the most logical thing in the world and answered
"I'll buy two."
I don't remember what I chose.
I don't know what happened to them.
I do know that was the beginning of more than a casual, occasional hello.
Now have one of "those" candles.
It makes my heart smile.


Comments

Post a Comment

thank you for taking the time to share

Popular Posts