period. Can I have a comma instead? (A question maybe other Jesus followers are asking too.)

Love one another as I have loved you.
John 13:34-35 

Forgive as you've been forgiven.
Ephesians 4:32; Matthew 6:15

Accept one another like Jesus accepted you.
Romans 15:7

Comfort one another with the comfort you have received from God.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Treat other people the way you want to be treated.
Luke 6:31

period.

all of these commands end with a period.

every.
single.
one.

this year,
more than once, 
I have looked for a loop hole
wished for a comma,
or a semi colon;
something more.
anything that made obedience an option or offered an "exception clause"

For example:
Love one another as I have loved you, as long as they are lovable...

Forgive as you've been forgiven, but if they keep hurting you...

Accept one another, if it is easy...

Comfort one another, but only when it is convenient or doesn't cost too much...

Treat other people the way you want to be treated, and if they treat you badly...
well, that must mean they want you to treat them badly, so go for it! 


sometimes I am weary 
and I lose sight of the truth that our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. So that person in front of me is not really the one the struggle is with. Ephesians 6:12

sometimes I am reluctant
because I forget how lavishly God has poured into me

sometimes I fail
because I am selfish and I rely on my own wisdom and strength

sometimes obedience is costly
but I have learned from experience
that disobedience is even more costly

*there is one command Jesus gave about love that has commas and a semi colon!
Check it out:
You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous." Matthew 5:43-45

Comments

Popular Posts