"Celebrate life with family today" (and every day)


"Happy 4th of July. Celebrate life with family today"
a friend wrote on her FB timeline this morning
it made my heart smile 
while a few tears escaped 
as Satan whispered, tempting me to have a pity party 
"You are all alone on July 4th for the first time in your life.
What in the world are you going to do all day?
None of your kids are coming in to celebrate."
I rebuked Satan with this truth:
family is more than those we share DNA with,
and this evening I will be celebrating with part of my church family 

that battle won,
I went back to read the comment of a mutual friend
her words fueled an emotional free for all
"Unfortunately it's just another day on the farm.
We have nothing to do today."

my reaction went from disbelief and sarcasm, 
"you live on a farm, there is always something to do"
to hurting for the friend who wrote the post-
today would have been her mom's 95th birthday
I know she misses her and their yearly celebration
to longing to be able to look our mutual friend in the eyes and say
"oh sweet lady, cherish these days that are 'just another day' 
hug your husband extra tight
hold your little ones a little longer than necessary
because trust me,
one day you will look back and wish for one more day just like today"

Comments

Popular Posts