football, the flag, fundraising

Related image

Bill was an avid sports fan. When the stadium at KCU was being built he updated me daily on the progress. We made regular trips so I could see with my own eyes whatever new thing was finished. Sometimes I did not see any difference, but Bill would carefully, patiently, kindly point it out to me. I think it began with a layer of gravel. I know that tons and tons of dirt were brought in, leveled, turf laid, logo added, stands installed, press box built, fencing put up. He was very proud of the new addition. Adding a stadium didn't make KCU a university, but it sure helps it to feel more like one. We attended every home game, cheering on our son for a year, continuing to go and support the sons of our hearts after Andrew decided not to play. Bill regretted not being able to have lights installed in phase one, but he laid the groundwork so they could be added later. If you knew Bill personally you know that "if we don't have the funds or plan in place to pay for it, we don't have it". That practice applied to our family as well as the university.

Bill had a deep appreciation for the American flag. There was a bracket on our house that he used to proudly display his flag, properly putting it out and taking it down. Every time we drove to Ohio to visit family we passed a car dealership off of Interstate 77 that had one of those huge American flags in their lot. He made sure everyone in the car with him was aware we were passing it and his face beamed when he saw it. I am not sure why no flagpole was installed when the stadium was built. I imagine it is because the focus was on the turf and stands and no one thought about the "need" for a flagpole, but it bothered Bill we didn't have one. The local High School ROTC came and presented the flag at games, but he really wanted a permanent flagpole. Raising the funds for that to happen was one of the things he talked about doing as part of his new job the summer of 2014. 

It has been on my heart since soon after Bill died to raise funds so that particular dream of his would become a reality. Recently I received an invitation from KCU's athletic director to join him in fundraising for the flagpole project. The time for dreaming is over. When I wholeheartedly agreed to work alongside Cory I did not foresee the emotional rollercoaster that would begin to race wildly by putting hope into action. 

I hate rollercoasters, but I will gladly ride this one as long as it takes to get the job done. Hopefully this fall, if you are driving on interstate 64E near mile marker 172, you will be able to glance between KCU's stadium and baseball field and see an American flag flying high and proud. Bill would be beaming.

 *If my faith was bigger I would undertake the lighting project as well. Neither is cheap, but the flagpole project is significantly more in my range of influence and probability of making a reality.

Comments

Popular Posts