I can do hard things

It's that time of year agin, when my car taxes have to be paid and the new sticker put on the plate. It's hard, not because it requires walking three flights of steps at the old courthouse or because money is an issue. It's hard because I am doing one of the jobs Bill took responsibility for. It's knowing I will not, no matter how careful I am, get the sticker "just right". This "simple" task, the first few years, was anything but simple. Doing it ten times has made it less daunting. 

I noticed last year that the veneer they use to make the plate was peeling, but I was not mentally up to getting a new one. When I looked at it today before going into the courthouse I knew I had to bite the bullet. I figured I could get one of the guys I know to switch it out for me like they did last time the plate needed changed.

I brought the new plate into the house. I set it on the bar and started the cleaning I wanted to accomplish this afternoon. I finished my work and looked at the bar. I picked up the plate and thought "How hard can it be? I have done harder physical things. If the screws are rusted I'll wait."

I went outside. The heads were a little rusted, but I gave the screwdriver a twist anyway. It was easy! Little did I know there is a plastic sleeve that the bolts go into which makes them getting rusted and stuck a non issue.

Fed Ex came while I was working. I asked the driver, a second time, to please put the package on the right side of the porch. I even motioned to the right. He nodded. 
(It is hard for me to ask for things. Even things that are reasonable. Recently I came home to a package that was soaking wet because it was placed in that same area. Thankfully nothing was ruined.)

I put the new plate on. It looks very nice.


Bill would be proud.
Of course, if he was here, he would have done this.
And the Fed-Ex guy?
Well, he put the package in the same place he always does.
On the left side of the porch, in front of the door.


I am choosing to believe he had ear buds in and did not hear my request. 
I am also choosing to believe he can read. 
I will be making a sign and attaching it to the bench requesting packages be placed under or in front of said bench where they are more protected from the elements.

I can do hard things.
Even when I don't want to.
It's part of maturing.

Comments

Popular Posts