hit by a brick

"You can know that getting hit by a brick* hurts,
but until you are hit by a brick
you don't know how much it hurts."                                                  

Being hit by a brick can be life altering.

Hormones (or lack of) affect more of life than I realized.
Anxiety can make you a prisoner in your home.
IBS can tie you to one room.

Being hit by a brick hurts.

If I do not allow God to use these bricks to build my character, as He has used any past "brick" that I have turned over to Him, all I will have to show for this part of my journey is pain, confusion, exhaustion, fear, frustration and, at times, anger.

Being hit by a brick can open up ministry opportunities.

God is able to take those things and transform them into beautiful characteristics like empathy, patience, gentleness, long suffering, compassion and kindness.

*I am well aware that there people being hit with boulders. I find that we tend to acknowledge that they have "a reason" to hurt and experience life changes, and we expect those being hit by a brick to "man up", "rub a little dirt in it" and go on with life.  At least, that is the way I have approached my own experience with bricks. I am realizing the importance of acknowledging the pain of being hit by a brick, asking God for healing and allowing Him time to work.

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.
II Corinthians 1:3-4

Comments

Popular Posts