like a child...

Jonathan had a quick, minor H/A repair to make here yesterday so after work he swung by his house and picked up his helper Benjamin. While dad was in the attic Benjamin and I were busy. We had a tower to build, a train to connect and he had food to cook for me. I ate some of the best cookies, scrambled eggs and fried pear I've ever had.
Several times Benjamin asked, "Where's my dad?" 
"In the attic, working" settled him a couple of times but there reached a time that he had to go and see his dad. He climbed the ladder saying, "I am going to give my dad a kiss" or "I need to give my dad a hug" he made several trips up and down. At one point I said, "Benjamin, watch this " and began to close the attic stairs. He jumped at me and said, "no, don't close my daddy up there!" I did anyway. Briefly. When I lowered the stairs again Benjamin had to climb up to be with his dad. Then he wanted me to close it on both of them. It wasn't frightening anymore because he and his dad were in the same place.

This morning I read Matthew 18. 
My attention has been arrested by verses 1-4, especially verse 3. 
"At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” And calling to Him a child, He put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."


..unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven"

That's a clear, concise statement. Since I want to be part of the kingdom of heaven it's vital to figure out what it means to become like children. My brain raced as I began to think about being childlike. Not childish, but childlike. 
I started a list of things I've observed in little children:

  • being full of awe/wonder at creation
  • delighting in "small" things
  • thinking Dollar Tree is a great store
  • seeing beauty in unexpected places
  • desiring to walk, to talk, to be just like dad or mom
  • actively exploring 
  • believing we are capable of far more than we are actually able to do
  • running to daddy (or mommy) with our booboos
  • crying when we need to
  • reaching for someone we trust when we are afraid
  • wanting to work alongside our parent
  • loving people
  • dreaming impossible dreams
  • asking for what we want, not what is reasonable
  • fully trusting daddy to catch us when we jump to him
  • believing what dad and mom tell you 
  • desiring to please our parent 

(I totally understand that children who have suffered neglect and/or abuse will not look at life the same way.)

How does all of this pertain to getting into the Kingdom of heaven? 

First, we must know, then choose to believe and begin to trust that God is a good Father. A perfect Father. Some of us had good dads. Some had okay dads. Some had sperm donors. God is in a class by Himself. If you had a good dad or perhaps the best dad, believe it or not, God is better by far. If you had anything less than a good dad, believe me, God is the perfect Father. I challenge you to get to know Him yourself. How? By reading the Bible and asking Him to reveal Himself to you. Please don't base your understanding of who He is as a Father on your experiences with poor earthly examples.

Then think about how the list above, and your own observations translate into things you need to adopt/change in your life today.

My prayer is for a reckless and wreckless faith. 
A faith that trusts our Father in Heaven can and will do all that He says He will do. I know He is good. He is also perfect. I know He loves me. Knowing those three things makes choosing to be childlike much, much easier. 


Comments

Popular Posts