warrior princess

Labels and understanding their purpose is important. When I go to the grocery store I want to know what is in the cans and boxes and bags that I am purchasing. "Peanut butter treats" in the dog food section are not the same as Skippy peanut butter bites in the grocery aisle.
















following are some labels I have worn: 

  • some real
  • some imagined
  • some proudly 
  • some unknowingly
  • some begrudgingly because I had no choice
  • some I have struggled against
  • some I have naturally outgrown or purposely left behind

baby
daughter
big sister
granddaughter
favored 
student
Don Ellis' kid
rejected
wild
single
woman
seeker
pregnant
wife
friend
Jesus follower
enemy
backslider
depressed
injured
teacher
widow

The problem with labels is that if they are wrongly applied, if we don't know what is inside a person, the label we give or receive could be misleading at best and at worst, 100% wrong. There is a very real danger of allowing a label to define us or form an unfounded opinion about someone else and stunt our growth. Labels can be life changing. (What we can see with our eyes can often simply be the packaging, not who the person really is.)

I will soon be 60 and have finally found a label that fits me,

one I proudly wear and hope I never outgrow:
I am a warrior princess.

*Definition of warrior: 
a person engaged or experienced in warfare

*Definition of princess: 

a female member of a royal family

Heavy on the warrior
I am:
scarred
scrappy

sometimes scared
more at home on the battlefield than in a parlor
more experienced at waging war than at serving tea
more comfortable hiking than waltzing 
more knowledgeable about weapons than frippery
more accustomed to the trenches than an ivory tower

so yes, I am heavy on the warrior, 
but I am in no way belittling my birthright, 
I am an adopted daughter of Almighty God which makes me a Princess
"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. For He chose us in Him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in His sight. In love He predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with His pleasure and will— to the praise of His glorious grace, which He has freely given us in the One He loves. In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace that He lavished on us. With all wisdom and understanding, He made known to us the mystery of His will according to His good pleasure, which He purposed in Christ, to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment—to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ." Ephesians 1:3-10

"...God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords" 1 Timothy 6:15
I am, and every Jesus follower is, a warrior.
Though we cannot see it with our eyes, in this world we have a real enemy.
There is real armor for us to strap on.
There are real battles we engage in. 
There is also an unchangeable, unbeatable battle plan for us to follow:
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit,which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. Ephesians 6:10-18
Fight on fellow warriors, Princesses and Princes. 
Don't give up. Don't quit. 
Keep the end in mind.
"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing." 2 Timothy 4:7-8

(*definitions, because a common understanding of what the words mean can only enhance clear communication)

Comments

Popular Posts