near misses

Image result for photo of Utility Work Ahead signs


There  was utility work being done on the Hitchens road as I headed home after cleaning the other day. At least that is what the signs said. I hadn't actually seen any workers, but, I'd seen the signs on the way in so I was aware and therefore cautiously alert as I rounded the first corner. The lights on top of the truck that were strobing more than flashing definitely got my attention and since I was driving slowly it did not take long to stop and take my place at a safe distance in the line of vehicles waiting to be on their way. 

It was only a minute or so before we moved. I couldn't figure out why we were going so slow. Then we stopped. Ahhh, they were done working for the day and had to pick up the warning sign. Ooops. Make that signs-because we only went a few seconds more before we stopped again. Oh well, I was not in a hurry. 

That must have been the last one, because we picked up speed. I checked my rearview mirror and saw a small pick up truck barrelling down on me. I looked ahead and saw the car in front of me braking, so I did likewise. I heard it before I looked in my mirror again. That awful sound of brakes locking up and rubber being left on pavement. My heart was racing and my mind was keeping time with it. A quick glance in the mirror showed the pick up was still coming  so I turned my steering wheel slightly right. I figured the ditch was better than being forcefully pushed into the car ahead of me. I heard more squealing. And braced for impact. 

Silence.

No sound of metal against metal or fiberglass. 

The other driver had swerved into the other lane and avoided rear ending me. It must have scared them as much or more than it did me because when we started moving again he kept a more than adequate safe distance between us. 

As I mentally berated the driver who'd only nearly missed hitting me, a truth quickly flashed into my consciousness.
That could have very easily been me. 


I drive that road, often, at the same speed that person was probably travelling. The difference between us that day was I was warned and thus prepared. I'd seen the signs. I'd seen the lights flashing. By the time this driver passed where I'd turned onto the road, the caution signs had been picked up. And for some reason that makes no sense to me, the driver of the utility truck had turned off the built in warning lights.

As I travel this road of life I want to be aware of my surroundings, alert to known possible dangers. And I want those who live alongside me to do the same. I also want to be brave enough to share warning signs, to be bold enough to say "hey, maybe you should slow down" or "be cautious, there is danger ahead." 

Moral of the story:
Paying attention to signs, even if you don't see any evidence, is important.
Near misses are a good thing when it means an imminent collision was averted.
Not having a near miss is even better.

Comments

Popular Posts