what does anxiety look like?

this:

this:
 this:

you may never see it, 

even if I am right in front of or beside you

we may be having a conversation

but you will more than likely be blissfully unaware

of the times I can feel my heart pounding, fast

my lungs trying to suck in enough air to fill them

my skin feeling clammy, sweaty

my scalp tingling

my focus wandering, unintentionally


and though this description sounds like I might be running,

or doing a physically demanding job,

I am not moving

but my mind is racing a hundred or more miles an hour

and my body is responding to the stress


I keep running to the Father, 

drawing close to Him,

praying for relief, 

and my soul is comforted,

but my body still reacts to the places my mind goes, 

places I'd rather it not visit

"what if-ing"

lurking in a shadow land, 

hiding things I'd gladly confront-

if only I could identify them


I have faced this enemy before:

anxiety is beast, 

not easily slayed

prayer, 

God's Word,

and medical help when needed

are my weapons of choice in this battle


Psalm 139:23-24
"Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."

Isaiah 26:3
"You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in You."

Psalm 56:3-4
"When I am afraid, I put my trust in You. In God, whose word I praise-in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?"

Proverbs 3:5-6
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Philippians 4:4-8
"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

  

Comments

Popular Posts