when the minor becomes major...

Monday April 25, 2022

I have tried, since last Thursday, to put into words what is on my heart and I haven't been able to think of a way to do it. Blame it on anesthesia brain or muscle relaxers or nerve pain pills or a combination. Tonight I am going to try and explain just what I have seen God do in my life these last two weeks.

Monday April 11 my biggest concern was that I was doing the CHG showers correctly, using the mupirocin as prescribed twice a day and that I would remember to shave my legs because that was my last opportunity before surgery. I knew CHG wipe baths were coming, but that was 48 hours away and I was focusing on what I needed to do each day. It wasn't hard or unreasonable stuff, it was simply new and therefore uncomfortable.

Wednesday April 13 Sarah came to Grayson to pick me up for my pre-op testing. We arrived in Lexington safely and everything went as planned. A dear friend had opened her home to us for the night so we wouldn't have to make the trip back to Grayson, back to Lexington early Thursday morning.

Thursday April 14 we were up at 5:20am. I had 20 ounces of gatorade to drink by 6am, then Sarah helped me with my final CHG wipe "bath". Hospital target arrival time was 7am. We were just a few minutes late, totally my fault in underestimating how quick I am. We sat in the pre-op waiting area. Chatting. Silent. People watching. I made sure she had a list of people to contact afterwards. My back surgery, a laminectomy was minor compared to what it could be. I knew the surgeon wanted me up 3-5 times a day. I knew he was hopeful I would be able to go home Thursday, but if I needed a little more time I would spend the night and go home Friday. I was looking at 6 weeks of recovery. 

They called me back and got me hooked up and surgery ready. Sarah was able to join me for an hour and got me my anxiety medicine that I didn't realize I needed. When I began crying as soon as she stepped into the room it was a clue to her that I needed it. Surgery was anticipated to be two/two and a half hours. 

I said see you later to Sarah and they wheeled me back to the operating room. The anesthesiologist said "Here, breath this. It's oxygen." He lied. Well, maybe that's a bit harsh, but all I remember is three breaths and then absolutely nothing so I am pretty certain it was a little more than oxygen.

The next thing I remember was my left eye burning. Itching. A patch over it. Sarah and Beth sitting by my bed. (I knew Beth was coming to take over for Sarah because Sarah had a wedding in Illinois.) Somehow I knew it was much later in the day than it should be and I knew I was not going home Thursday night. 

Friday April 15th I woke up and I knew I had more feeling in my right foot than I'd had in a long time and I was excited! The surgery had already done me good! The first step to recovery was being able to eat. Beth made it happen, even though she had to figure out how to feed me breakfast while I was laying on my side. I wasn't sure why, but they did not want me to sit up.

I was awake and with it enough by 9 to understand some of what the PA explained when he came in to check on me. I had scratched my cornea after surgery. I simply kept telling whoever would listen that my eye was itching and was persistent in reaching up to take care of it. I slipped past his preventive measures and scratched it as they were wheeling me to my room. Thankfully eyes heal quickly and it was better after a restless night flat on my back and I was able to take the eye patch off. The second thing he explained was that my minor back surgery had turned into major surgery when the cyst the surgeon had noticed on the MRI was tucked behind a vertebrae and was wrapped in nerves. As he was removing it, at the 2 hour surgery mark, almost home, there was a dura tear. No bueno. My surgeon invested an hour painstakingly and skillfully repairing the tear. The PA was impressed and thankful this particular man was my surgeon. He'd seen other surgeons in the same situation and none handled as well as mine did. I was in surgery a total of four hours. The plan was to sit me up 15 degrees a little after noon and see how my body reacted. After a few minutes I started to get a slight headache. It earned me a quick return to flat on my back. I thought it was probably sinus pressure. At this point I was not processing the information I was given. I was tired of being on my back but I trusted my healthcare team and did what they told me to do. When my surgeon called to check on me Friday afternoon he explained I would be in the hospital a few more days. Flat. Something about a spinal headache. When the PA came in for a visit Friday late afternoon he explained the danger of spinal fluid leaking, of the stitches not holding the tear, etc. I realized I had some kind of drain in my back.

Saturday April 16 Jonathan took over for Beth. More laying flat. A surprise quick visit before 8am by my surgeon. "Just checking in" on his way to watch 20 girls play soccer. A pleased smile when there wasn't much drainage. A plan for the PA on duty Sunday to remove the drain. More being fed by one of my children. 

Sunday April 17. Easter 2022 In the hospital. Drain removal, stitches. Sat up slightly. Gradually making it to 30 degrees for a few minutes by the end of the day.

Monday April 18 Andrew came to take over for Jonathan. Surgeon stopped by before breakfast. More talk about the surgery and complications. New concern: Ileus. Digestive system not doing what it needed to do. Contributors: Anesthesia. Pain meds. Flat on my back. Xrays ordered. After results, the surgeon pulled out all the stops. Literally. After lunch they got me onto my feet with a walker to help stabilize me. A couple of hours later I made a trip to the bathroom. It's been a long time since I've seen nurses as happy as mine were when I finally pooped Monday afternoon. I took a short walk. Another bathroom trip and walk to the end of the hall to finish up the day.

Tuesday April 19 Surgeon came in first thing in the morning. "How do you feel about going home?" Me: "Today?" Him "Yes!" I was sent home on mostly bed rest until my post-op visit.

It's been a journey, this minor surgery turning into major surgery. Everyday another piece of the puzzle fell into place as I began to comprehend more of the information people were sharing. My kids have taken incredible care of me through all of this. 

I didn't know for several days, maybe even last Tuesday after I was released from the hospital that the surgeon had pulled Sarah into a consultation room after my surgery and explained to her that because of the dura tear he was expecting me to have a spinal headache. If that happened another surgery would be required to fix it. He expected there to be nerve damage because he was afraid he'd clipped a nerve. I am guessing when the dura tore his major concern was repairing it asap. He cautioned her that it was probable I would have drop foot. He didn't think any of the nerve stuff would be permanent, but it would require extensive physical therapy.

                                              
Today, Monday April 25, 2022 
Jonathan took me to my first post op visit. Suture removal. A review of surgery.  My surgeon and PA are pleased (and surprised) by my progress. I do have limitations. 
Not bed rest, but no bending, lifting, twisting or straining. 90 days must pass before they will breathe easy with the dura repair. Next visit is next Thursday. PT is in the future, but probably not for a few more weeks. Today was another opportunity to share with them that my surgery was covered by an army of prayer warriors. 

Only God could orchestrate how all of this happened. While a minor surgery became an unexpected major surgery, the expected major complications have not materialized beyond minor complications. Thank you for your prayers and support. And spend a few seconds to send up a shout of praise for what He has done.  

Comments

  1. Praise God!! So thankful for you and for His care over you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord! You are doing good & able to write your surgery story. A scary situation turned into a blessing. Will continue to pray for your complete healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you! I’m praying! Tell all the kids I love them too and Dad would be so proud but not surprised at all that they are taking good care of momma!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

thank you for taking the time to share

Popular Posts