This is me. How did I get here?

thank you Sonya and Amy for making this photo possible

I have good hair. Not bragging, just stating a fact. I know it is true because my hairdresser tells me so. We talked about it again this morning when I got my hair trimmed. For years after we married I wore it long, mainly because Bill liked it that way. I still remember my surprise more than 15 years ago when he said, "If you want to cut it, go ahead, I don't mind." So I did. And liked it immensely. So did he. I kept it short, going to see Sonya about every six weeks. A week before Andrew and Bre got married in August of 2013 I got a trim so it would be newly but not freshly cut for the wedding. I had celebrated my 54th birthday in June, and in September, when it was time for another trim, I thought; "I am not getting any younger. Bill likes my hair long. The kids are all grown and gone. I have more time to care for it now. If I am ever going to wear it long again for him, now is the time." And I let it grow. When Bill died I had no reason to continue growing it out, but I had no reason or energy to make the decision and commitment required to keep it short. So I let it grow. And grow. I had two trims amounting to only a few inches off the ends until October of 2017 when I looked in the mirror and saw what I perceived as a scary old woman looking back at me. And wondered "how did I get here?". I called Sonya to make sure she was still cutting hair and made an appointment. I am glad I did. I'd be lying if I said it was easy, because it wasn't. Growing my hair out was one of the last things I had chosen to do out of love for Bill. Getting it cut was a weird acceptance of widowhood. 



I have posted this picture of Bill and I numerous times. It is one of my favorites. But, it made me cry this week when I saw it as my profile picture on a flyer advertising a Women's Retreat I am privileged to speak at in April. The potential title of my talk is "How Did I Get Here?"


Yesterday I texted my friend Amy to ask if she could take a picture of me today after my haircut to use for the Retreat information. 
Why? Because I am not the woman in this picture anymore. 

I was an emotional wreck all morning. Why? Because replacing the photo on the flyer was another acknowledgement of widowhood. And while I trust that God knows what He is doing, I still wonder sometimes, how did I get here?

As I sit here tonight writing this post, the emotional turmoil of this morning is long gone. How did I get here? Love. God's love poured out through friends today.

A haircut with a shampoo and style afterward from Sonya this morning and later in the day her braiding the ponytails she cut in October so I can donate them.

The photograph Amy came to my house to take and the time we shared talking about life together.

A visit with the Haynie's after I cleaned at church where I got to chat with each one, read aloud to them the first Sophia book I wrote, play a new game, and leave with two tangible gifts- a delicious brownie and beautiful flowers.
















The message I got to stop by the office and see Anita-where she gave me a sweet note of encouragement and a new travel buddy.


I am especially thankful for the real, live travel buddies who have been by my side literally and figuratively as I practice living this new life. You, my dear family and friends are often the portals of God's lavish love. Without your love, prayers and support this would be a much harder road to travel. 

Comments

  1. I agree! You do have good hair. And this cut perks up your face very nicely.I love it. Thanks for sharing your emotions. It makes others feel normal to have so many feelings and attitudes over things that others SEEMINGLY breeze through life without even a hiccup. God bless you for all that you bravely share with others. Carol Groves

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

thank you for taking the time to share

Popular Posts