oh, deer

 


There is a deer farm in Sarah's back yard. Well, not IN her yard, but just on the other side of the fence that separates their property from the land that butts up against it.

This morning as we were leaving their subdivision to head to the RCHS Greenhouse where Noell was working, we saw this small group of deer in the field. 

Sarah knows the person who is in charge of their welfare. The deer are raised here and later shipped out west. My focus is on the tail end of our conversation.

"While they are here, they have a good life." 

They have no idea of what lies ahead of them. 
They are content where they are. 
Doing the things deer do. 

I keep going back to that idea. 
Wondering why it keeps cycling through my mind. 
Actually, I know why.
There's a challenge in it.

Sometimes I get so caught up in what might lay ahead of me that I neglect to be thankful for the life I am living right now. 

Is my life free from pain and suffering and chaos and things I'd rather not face or have to experience?

Absolutely not. 

But I serve a God who loves me. 
Who provides for me. 
Who has an eternal purpose and plan that He invites me to be a part of. 

Earth isn't heaven, by any means. 

But when I look at my life, and take in the whole of what I have lived thus far, even taking into consideration the storms and chaos and ugly, I have to admit: while I've been here, I've had a good life. And I know the life that ultimately lies ahead of me and it is definitely far better than anything this life has to offer. 

One day, heaven.

"As a deer longs for flowing streams, so I long for you, God." Psalm 42:1

"God is my strong refuge; He makes my way perfect. He makes my feet like the feet of a deer and sets me securely on the heights." 2 Samuel 22:33, 34

"Though the fig tree does not bud and there is no fruit on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though the flocks disappear from the pen and there are no herds in the stalls, yet I will celebrate in the LordI will rejoice in the God of my salvation! The Lord my Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like those of a deer and enables me to walk on mountain heights!" Habakuk 3: 17-19 

“Don’t let your heart be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? If I go away and prepare a place for you, I will come again and take you to myself, so that where I am you may be also. You know the way to where I am going.” “Lord,” Thomas said, “we don’t know where you’re going. How can we know the way?” Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you know me, you will also know my Father. From now on you do know him and have seen him.” John 14:1-7

Comments

Popular Posts