I did it! 100,000 miles documented

February 2,2022 I looked at the odometer before heading into Ashland.

I've not measured how far it is to KDMC from my house, but thought I might see the big number before I got home. It is 25 miles.
Round trip wouldn't be far enough. I had no desire to shop so it would have to wait until my next outing. I headed home. When I got off the interstate I was afraid I wouldn't think about looking the next time I drove somewhere so rather than stopping at home I drove out to the lake. Since I was watching for the number Bill would have been excited to see I drove to "our" end of the lake at the end of the paved road.

I don't remember ever seeing ice on the lake. It was a new kind of beauty to feast my eyes on. From the warmth of my comfortable, reliable car. It was too cold to sit on our bench, but getting out to take a picture seemed appropriate.

Going to the far end still wasn't far enough.

I drove to the entrance area that I have pretty much decided is my new spot. 
I cannot tell you how many times I have pulled up into that parking lot. I can tell you I saw something as I was leaving that I've never noticed. 
There is a gravel road that leads up to the left. I've seen the shelter up there, but kind of considered it overflow from the one behind my car, not an area in and of itself.
I contemplated new roads I have been forced to travel in the last 7 1/2 years. Took a few pictures. Headed home wondering about what other new roads and forks (choices of paths) lie ahead.
When the odometer turned to THE number, I pulled off the road to safely take a picture. A random train of thought lodged itself in my brain:
The first 100,000 miles on a car is a milestone. 
Bill was part of that number.
But he isn't going to be part of the next 100,000. 
It's a weird, weird thought.
I am thankful I never travel alone. 
Even when I am by myself.

Even though he is not here to see the beginning of the next 100,000 miles and what life holds as I travel them, Bill's influence still holds sway in my life. I can hear his voice encouraging me to memorize Philippians 4:4-8 at a very stressful time when I was convinced we might lose one of our children. It was such wise advise. I have gone back to this passage more times than I can count. 
It is part of the foundation of my faith and always points me in the right direction.

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

Comments

Popular Posts