one of my vices: books

They say the first step to recovery is to admit you have a problem.
My name is Donnette.
I am a bookaholic.

When my kids were little I spent more money on books and pictures of them than I did on food. Well, that might be an exaggeration, but if I had the money in hand that I spent on books and curriculum for them, along with the cash from photographs I took of them or paid to have taken of them, I could take a nice vacation.

Lately I have been investing in books for myself. Real books. Books with substance. Frequently. (Thanks to abebooks.com,and thriftbooks.com I have been able to save quite a bit of money. Which enables me to buy more books. It is a vicious cycle.)

I have two stacks of reading material that I can reach from the part of the couch I sit on, without standing up. These are the ones I am currently reading:

This is the stack waiting to be rotated into the pile.


I refuse to show you my full bookshelves. So full they have  stacks too. 

I've discovered, since I'm reading books of substance, that I retain the information better if I read a little everyday rather than trying to tackle it all in a sitting or two, the way I read "fluff" books, ones I read instead of watching movies or doing other mindless things. That is why I have four on the blanket chest in front of the couch.

Andrew and Bre introduced me to Henri Nouwen at Christmas. I bought several of his books and they are in the "to read" pile on the table beside the couch. On a whim I picked up one of the smaller ones this evening. 


His words throughout the first 21 pages spoke to me, over and over again. This passage especially resonated. I have written in the past about how grief is a dance. 

I hope they speak to your heart as well.
All of life is part of the dance.
And nothing in it can separate us from the love of God.

Comments

Popular Posts