living in a fog

Recently I have felt like I am living in a fog, especially the past several days. Today I decided that after soccer practice I needed to make returns and do some shopping I have been putting off. While I was bargain hunting in the last store, fog rolled in. As I walked to my car a few minutes after 10 I thought, "this is going to be fun to travel home in." (Cue sarcasm.)

stock photo
I planned to take advantage of McDonald's drive thru on my way out of the mall parking lot. I wanted to be home by 11. It is a 35 minute drive when the roads are clear. The fog strengthened my resolve to eat healthier and I skipped the McD's stop.

As I got on the entrance ramp heading west I noticed the fog getting thicker. I took a deep breath. I don't like driving in fog. I was surprised that the air was clear a few minutes down the road. Happily I motored on. Until I hit the next patch of fog. I took another deep breath and prayed that all the deer would behave and stay on their side of the guard rail because I knew it would be difficult to see one if they decided to dart across the road.
Another clear patch of road and a sigh of relief. Then another patch of fog. More praying. Another clear spot, more fog and prayer, on a repeating cycle, some light, some heavy, some in-between, all the way home. 

Life can be like my evening. You are busy taking care of business, finish what you need to do and are looking forward to the next thing on your agenda. But while you were focused on your task some kind of "fog" rolls into your life. There is no ignoring it. You didn't ask for it. You could do without it, but you have no control over it. You cannot stay where you are, so you move forward. 

Without warning the "fog" lifts and you have some clarity.
Grayson exit ramp

You shake off any delay and resume your normal speed. Maybe you are humming or planning, singing or dreaming, busy or resting when the fog rolls back in. Again, you have no choice but to deal with "it". 

A light "fog" probably won't slow you down very much, it is more of a distraction than anything else. 
stop light on Carole Malone
Heavier "fog" is a hindrance. You cannot see things clearly. If you don't pay attention and make adjustments, the likelihood of some sort of injury is real.
from the end of my driveway
Then there is thick, pea soup-like "fog". Intrusions that make seeing through or past them almost impossible. That kind of "fog" is a danger, not because the fog itself can cause harm, but because it hides things and distorts the familiar. You might have to slow to a crawl. You might have to ask someone you trust to come alongside you and be a second pair of eyes. You might have to stop.  

Wherever you are in this cycle, make appropriate adjustments so that at the end of your journey you have no regrets because you have done all you can do to travel safely forward without unnecessary danger to yourself or others. 
big sigh of relief, safely home

The one constant I noticed tonight, regardless of the density of the fog? Light shines through. It may look different, distorted, but that is my perception, not reality. Spiritually speaking: regardless of what my circumstances are, no matter what they may suggest to the contrary, Jesus, the Light of the world, remains constant. He is always shining His light on my path, leading me safely home.

Comments

Popular Posts