and so it ends and so it begins, all in the same evening 366/366

2020 has been anything but normal. This last post of the year will follow suit.

I'm going to share a few random thoughts that have ran through my head in the last 24 hours as I have pondered how to end the discipline of writing everyday.

Words are powerful. Those used and those left unsaid have the power to wound and destroy or to heal, explain, repair, restore, encourage and  challenge. I hope that the ones I have written have accomplished more of the latter.

I have flirted with the idea of writing a book on several different occasions over the years. I thought I lacked the discipline to do so. 2020 has taught me that I could. I have written a post every day for 366 days in a row. If formatted and printed there would probably be close to that many pages. If bound, 366 pages would make a pretty respectable sized book. Maybe I'll transfer this nightly discipline to earlier in the day in 2021 and begin fleshing out curriculum I outlined ten or more years ago. That would be a significant change over excuses why it isn't a good time to begin.

Many of you have made it a habit to read my posts almost every day. If you are someone who hasn't read a book in years, guess what? Based on the thesis above, this year you DID read a book! Congratulations! I hope you continue to find something to read, even if it is just a few minutes a day.

Downsize was my word for 2020. I've addressed that within the last week so I won't revisit it except to say that my last day in downsize mode was also an unplanned introduction for change, significant change, in 2021.

I am sixty one years old. I'm spending my first solo New Years Eve. Some of my family who visited this week didn't feel well. I didn't feel well this morning so I cancelled plans for company to come spend the rest of the week with me. Not knowing if it is simply sinuses and changing weather keeps me from joining friends here in Grayson, even though I am feeling better this evening. No puppy chow. I certainly don't need a whole batch to myself. And no rootbeer floats at midnight. I don't like them anyway, but Bill and the kids couldn't do New Years Eve without them.

I went to clean the church late this afternoon. I went to Walmart afterward. I bought deli General Tso's chicken, potato wedges and a can of Coke for supper. I ate them in the car on the way home. The donut is for breakfast. None of that is normal, it is all a change. Not the "things" themselves, but doing them on New Years Eve which traditionally is full of family and friends, with no time for going anywhere.


I carried my groceries and after Christmas purchases into the house. Last load was trash from the car, I reached to open the storm door. I somehow locked it and my keys were inside. Big sigh. Thankfully I keep an extra set hidden.  I retrieved them and put the key into the lock and turned it-turns out the door wasn't locked, it was stuck. (Sarah, remember yesterday when you or one of the kids had a problem? Yeah, this was a repeat except I was on the outside trying to get in rather than on the inside trying to get out.) I pulled and I yanked. I couldn't hip check it so I tried to wrestle it. It wouldn't budge. I had options. I could go ask my neighbor for help or phone a friend, but I refused to be defeated by a door. 

I popped my trunk and got some tools:

a crow bar didn't work to pry it open

but, the flat part of the multi tool and a crow bar finally did

I left the door open and got my cordless drill to remove the screws holding it in place

took it down, and "walked" it, end over end, to the back porch

This is my last work of downsizing and my first tangible significant change. For the first time since 1977 I don't have a storm door. (It's probably longer than that, but I don't remember details about this kind of thing before marriage and homeownership.) I may not have it repaired or replaced. It is a door that often gets caught by the wind and I have replaced more pneumatic closers than I can count. 

It's fine. I'm fine. 

2020 taught me many valuable lessons. 

I expect 2021 will do the same.

Comments

Popular Posts