moving forward when the holly isn't jolly 348/366



sometimes "moving forward" is done by leaps and bounds

somedays progress looks more like a slow, snail or slug-like crawl

today? well for me, today it is more of the second scenario,

slime trail and all

today Christmas and holly and all that goes with it seems anything but jolly

if you are "here" too-

please, know you are not alone and there is nothing "wrong" with you

2020 has been a hard year for many of us,

with lots of challenges and changes 

and it has certainly been a year with uncharted territory for all of us

I would like to encourage you 

to stop and breathe, a deep cleansing breath

to take time to regroup

to choose to continue to put one foot in front of the other

whether it is a full stride

or a slow shuffle

to rest when you need to

but don't give up,

and don't give in to entertaining, feeding or adopting a negative mindset

I have found this to be true:

I am likely to see exactly what I am looking for 

so I have to practice taking every rogue thought captive (maybe you do too)

examine it

evaluate its truth 

(rarely are things dealing with people "always" or "never")

refuse to dwell on what is untrue or harmful for my mental health

when lies or negative things pop into my mind, refute them

remember that feelings often grossly exaggerate truth (good and bad)

keep what is worth keeping 

release what is toxic

sweet friends, let's search for and celebrate the beauty and riches in our lives, 

being aware that some days it will take more scrutiny and effort to find them,

that the yield may often be more gold dust than nuggets,

that the dirt and sweat and toil it takes to uncover it is not only okay, it is normal,

and that every speck we find and hold onto has value

*Sometimes my hope gets misdirected, I get distracted by what seems urgent, losing sight of what is important and/or my expectations are not grounded in realistic possibilities. Today all of those things have played a part in fertilizing the soil for the doldrums that are clawing their way into my mind and thoughts, toying with my emotions, slanting my memories and reeking havoc with my thought processes. I am placing myself in Time Out this evening. I need to stop the potential train wreck. I need to rest. I need to reset. I need to take time to do this, then I will be able to move forward in a healthy way.

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!  Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

Comments

Popular Posts