mirror, mirror on the wall...

mirrors
like people,
come in all shapes and sizes
they are useful
they are important

today I found out how important they are 
they can keep you from walking around and embarrassing yourself
but,
you have to USE them
properly

as I was cleaning a sink in one of the bathrooms at church 
I caught a glimpse of my face and thought-
NO! Eyebrows are not supposed to look like ill groomed caterpillars!
I will be setting aside an hour or so tonight to tame them

as I looked closer I saw a rogue hair growing under my chin

Trust me,
unfortunately it's there.
That reminds me,
I forgot to pluck it when I got home!
I should not be walking around with an inch long hair here.
thank goodness for the mirror in this room

I have mirrors in my house

I have a beautiful one that belonged to Bill's grandmother
I have bi-fold mirrored closet doors in a room to make it look larger
unfortunately I do not have a mirror in any of the bathrooms
and that is where I notice those things that caught my attention today
all of the mirrored cabinets over the sinks came down for this remodeling
plain mirrors ARE going up, 
I just haven't made it that far yet 
and it has bitten me in the behind 

Seeing what I missed by not looking at myself closely in a mirror has had me pondering two different passages of Scripture.

"But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like." James 1:22-24

"When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known." I Corinthians 13:11-12


It is not enough to know what God's Word says. I have to choose to practice doing what it says. Whether I see how it is going to work out or not. One day, I shall see clearly and know fully. I don't now. I won't until I pass from life here to life in heaven. Today, and every day He grants me breath here, I need to keep trusting God and walking in obedience. Because He does see and know.

Comments

Popular Posts