elephant on my chest

I woke up this morning with a baby elephant on my chest.

I did what came naturally.
I tried to ignore it.

Fresh pain in the lives of people I love fed it,
exponentially,
so that by noon it was an over sized bull elephant.
I went to my room
I cried
I texted some prayer warriors
I cried some more
I screamed into my pillow
(I didn't want to scare the grandchildren).
I took comfort from the hugs of my girls 
who haven't gone home yet
and from the loving, supportive responses 
from those I had texted.
I cried some more.

When the ugly overwhelming waves of pain eased,
we packed up the grandchildren
we went to Ashland
we got Chick-fil-A
and headed to the park for a picnic lunch.
Starbucks for the adults after the play date.
Soccer practice.
Dinner at the house provided by a loving friend.

The elephant is hovering, but not crushing



I am thankful the sweeping waves are not constant.
I am thankful to be loved by the One who speaks to my heart and says "Peace, be still."*
I am thankful for the prayers, support and love of family and friends.
(*Mark 4, Matthew 8)

Comments

  1. I hurt for the pain that you are enduring Donnette. I continue to pray for you, and
    your family. And yet, in the midst of your own grief, you reached out to me, and, God used you, to help me on my own journey. Many thanks my friend . God is close to the brokenhearted. Jan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

thank you for taking the time to share

Popular Posts