KCU Soccer is more than a program

Some of the young adults in the pictures below played their last game of soccer this week. Some are graduating, some are transferring to another place and will not play soccer there. It is a reminder of the need to invest in people when we can, there is no guarantee of "another season". The tears shed because some of my kids are leaving are mixed. Excitement for them, sadness for me.

It has been quite a year for KCU's soccer program.
For the first time in our history both our Men and Women competed in the NCCAA Division 2 National Tournament the same year. 
The tournament ended today.
Our women finished 6th.
*Our men finished 3rd. 
*The best finish in school history.

Women after the banquet.
Men after the 3rd place game.
Another first:
at the banquet Tuesday night it was announced that one of our girls, Hannah Sanders, received the Michelle Akers Award. 
"The Michelle Akers Award serves as the top award within the sport, recognizing academic excellence, athletic achievement and Christian service and conduct. Built on the Christ-like traits of Love, Integrity, Faith and Excellence, the NCCAA GP4L awards program seeks to honor one student-athlete in each sport who best displays these qualities."

Today after the men's game one of them wrapped me in a huge hug.
"Mom, I don't know if you've noticed," and he held out his arm, "but I have played every game this year with this arm band on. To remind me to play with the kindness Bill had. I didn't miss a game with it. I played every one with it on. I just wanted you to know."
Tears fell.
One of my other boys, a captain, wanted to make sure I was okay when he saw my tears. I explained to him what happened. He said, "I know mom. All of us captains have it written on our band too."
That makes at least four young men every game.
Tears fall now as I write this blog.
Memories of seeing a glimpse of 4 Bill written on the athletic tape one of the other players wraps his wrist with.
This team of young men started the season making me cry.
This team of young men ended the season making me cry. 
These are good tears. 
Tears of celebration. 

Living a life of faith and integrity speaks even after we die.

Bill was competitive. He would have been proud of these teams. They are able to play the game with heart, with passion, fighting fiercely, with integrity. It is a privilege to watch them as they "get it" and begin to mature, to choose Christ-like character and self control along with their fierce passion on the pitch. 

Comments

Popular Posts