snow, friend or foe? yes

I was a big fan, 
sitting on my couch under a fuzzy blanket, 
watching the snow Sunday night
it was beautiful and relaxing,
zooming in to get a closer look made it more so

 
I wasn't as much of a fan Monday afternoon
when I had to bundle up because of it
and I certainly wasn't relaxed as I cleaned off my car 
and a path from the porch to the drivers door and scattered salt
my fingers and toes got cold 


but the magic returned Tuesday morning
when I made it out of my drive over the snow plow ridge,
found the interstate in nearly perfect driving condition,
the roads in Ashland were mostly clear 
and the hillsides were fairytale-like beautiful 

something can be: 
beautiful and dangerous,
welcome and a nuisance,
pleasurable and frustrating,
alluring and repelling,
all at the same time,
depending on our circumstance and perspective...

I want to remain alert. Mentally, emotionally, physically, spiritually. I want to appreciate what is beautiful, but I never want to be blinded by pleasure. Mesmerized. Unable or unwilling to see how what I enjoy might be masquerading as something harmless but in truth is a threat or danger to someone else or to me.

because that snow is beautiful... 
from the warmth of my home or car.
but 
what if I was homeless?
had to travel before the roads were cleared?
had to clear the roads?
had work outside in it?...

Comments

Popular Posts