Death Stinks

Death stinks.
Literally.
Which is why when I went out to feed Sam before chapel last Thursday morning and found a dead adolescent sized possum in the yard I doubled up two Walmart bags, used them as gloves to pick up the not playing animal, tied the bag shut, took it to the  front porch and left it there until I was ready to leave for Chapel. As I headed out I picked up the bag, put it on the front passenger floorboard and drove to KCU. I made a detour to the dumpster behind the Library to make a deposit before I parked and went in to chapel. I did not want that mess to be sitting in my trash can for the next five days. 

Death stinks, 
not for the one that has died, 
but for the ones left behind to deal with it.
The ones that are left to clean things up, to pick up the pieces.
Today I am tired of the mess and stink.
It seems that is all I can see.
I am ready to be done.


Death stinks.
Literally.
I went out to watch the Lunar Eclipse last night and caught something out of the corner of my eye. I thought "No, it can't be." I ignored it. I sat on the edge of my porch and looked up, watching the moon slowly emerge. When I went out to feed and water Sam this morning my suspicion was confirmed. There was another possum that was not playing dead. A huge possum. One that will not fit in a Walmart bag. I knew I would need a shovel and a trash bag. My garbage will be picked up in the morning so I waited until this evening to take care of getting it into the large trash can I roll to the curb. It had been out there less than 24 hours and it was already beginning to stink.

My heart has been so heavy, so burdened for Ashley.
I keep praying for her and Savannah and Max.
Wishing I could do something to make it easier for them.
Knowing I can't.
Death stinks.

Today felt like this photo, dark, heavy, oppressive, threatening.
I know the sun is there, but it was really difficult to see.
Look below at the difference the sun makes.
The road remains long.
The hill is still steep and hard to climb.
But where the Son is, there is hope.
Some days it is more difficult to see Him
so I have to choose to walk by faith not by sight.

"In the path of righteousness is life 
and in its pathway there is no death."
Proverbs 12:28

Comments

Popular Posts