"I could never..." and "how do you do "it"....

*"You must be very brave... strong ...________, because I could never... do that....face that....endure that..._________". (whatever "that" may be.)

or

*"How in the world do you do "it" ?" (whatever "it" may be)

I have never heard anything resembling either one of those statements when things are calm, pleasant or easy. Those sentiments seem to rise to the surface and overflow only when things are stormy, chaotic, pain filled or otherwise overwhelming. 

Here is a simple but profound truth:

The one hearing those words rarely has a choice about the crisis.

*disclaimer-I heard those sentiments often when my kids were little, especially as we added Jonathan, then Andrew, and finally Ruth-bringing our total kid count to six. We did have a choice. I would not have passed on being mom to any of them. (Well, most days I wouldn't have.) People who questioned our decision to have "lots" of kids could not comprehend that the blessings and joy each one added to our family far outweighed the work. I imagine there are other professionals who have jobs that invite the same kind of questions that could be answered with the same words-"you do not understand the fulfillment that comes from doing this".

Following is an introduction to truths I live by, lessons that are embedded in my life because I practice living them. This is how I "did it"  then and how I continue to "do it" now when faced with "impossible" situations.

Knowing who God is and who I am in Him changes everything about life.


Knowing and feeling are two completely different things. 
I focus on and practice living by what I know to be true.
Especially when I am not "feeling it".
God is the Creator, the Giver and the Sustainer of life. 
He is faithful.
He is trustworthy. 

God has an eternal purpose that goes far beyond what I can understand. 
He keeps His promises, every single one of them. 
He is good. All of the time. Even when "things" are not.

God loves me. 
God knows me. 
God redeemed me. 
God adopted me and made me one of His beloved children. 

God never asks me to face anything by myself. 
He is never surprised by what happens in my life.
He promises to provide everything I need. Everything. Always.

God is kind.
He is patient.
He is compassionate.

God is available to those who love Him and call out to Him.
He is close to the brokenhearted.
He carries me when I cannot walk.

I believe there is more to life than we can see or feel or touch or hear and that those things are far more real, lasting and important. 
"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:18 

So, 
when I am afraid
when I am weary
when I am confused
when I am frustrated
when I want to throw in the towel
when I think I cannot possible take one more step
when I am hurting, so deeply I do not know how I can go on,

have to make a choice-
allow my questions
my feelings
my concerns
my worry
my doubt
my fear(s)
to carry me to places better left uninhabited?
or
call to mind the truths I have learned and hidden in my heart
and walk in them, sometimes one wobbly step at a time 

“Everyone then who hears these words of Mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.” Matthew 7:24-27

for me, it is a "no brainer"; 
as the old hymn says:
"On Christ the solid rock I stand, 
all other ground is sinking sand, 
all other ground is sinking sand..."



But the steadfast love of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him, and His righteousness to children's children, Psalm 103:17

O Lord, You have searched me and known me!

You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
    You discern my thoughts from afar.
You search out my path and my lying down
    and are acquainted with all my ways.
Even before a word is on my tongue,
    behold, O Lord, You know it altogether.
You hem me in, behind and before,
    and lay Your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
    it is high; I cannot attain it.
Where shall I go from your Spirit?
    Or where shall I flee from Your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, You are there!
    If I make my bed in Sheol, You are there!
If I take the wings of the morning
    and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
even there Your hand shall lead me,
    and Your right hand shall hold me.
If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me,
    and the light about me be night,”
even the darkness is not dark to You;
    the night is bright as the day,
    for darkness is as light with You.
For You formed my inward parts;
    You knitted me together in my mother's womb.
I praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are Your works;
    my soul knows it very well.
My frame was not hidden from You,
when I was being made in secret,
    intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in Your book were written, every one of them,
    the days that were formed for me,
    when as yet there was none of them.
Psalm 139:1-16

When I am afraid, put my trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; 
I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?
Psalm 56:3-4



Comments

Popular Posts