victory, redefined

sometimes victory
is not about finishing first
or topping your own personal best time
or looking good while you run this race of life
sometimes it is measured by simply beginning and finishing

I'm not sure I could call what I did today walking,
and as I plodded along I formulated a plan to write words of encouragement,
something like
"some days, simply getting out of bed is a victory
and if that is where you are,
I see you
I have been there
and I celebrate with you,
that today you had the courage to do so"

When I got home I immediately began writing and my thoughts morphed, taking a completely different turn. I ended up with this addition:


calls for all the warm stuff

protect your hands
so you can give
and receive


protect your ears
so you can hear what is said
and if you listen close enough,
sometimes
you can hear what isn't spoken

protect your heart and lungs
so you can breathe in the breath of God
and so you can love as He loves you
This is a "belt" the Davies gave me for Christmas.
It has a pocket with a zipper so I can put my phone and keys in it.
Having a means of communication and keys at hand is vital.
 


good shoes are important-
investing in them is not a waste,
but a measure of wisdom







before you open the door
make sure you are properly dressed
to face what you know is out there
and trust that God will give you what you need
to face the unexpected

knowing that you may not "feel like it",
but you need to, 
keep walking
even if it is slow,
even when it is painful,
even though it is uncomfortable,

even if it is an ugly, ungraceful walk
let your motivation be that one day you will get home

*"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. 
Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 
In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. 
To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints."
Ephesians 6:10-18

* Ephesians is one of my favorite books in the Bible. As I read it again recently I "saw" something that affected me in a powerful way. Before I share my thought I need to make sure you are aware that the Bible was not written with chapters, verses or punctuation. Men added those later to make our reading, study and referencing easier. That bit of truth is important.

*"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil...

Finally, be strong in the Lord.
And in the strength of His might put on the full armor of God that you may be able to stand....

Does changing where the period is placed affect you the way it did me? 

Comments

Popular Posts