thanks giving when there's nothing in the situation to be thankful for 327/366

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

There are some verses that, if you aren't careful when you read them, can really mess with your mind and emotions. This was one of them for me.

Rejoice always? 

Pray without ceasing?

Give thanks in ALL circumstances?

How.

How do I do that...

when I am grieving

when the rug has been pulled out from under me

when there is more month than money

when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be a freight train

when one of the kids is sick, again

when I've been betrayed

when the doctor report came back not good

when (you fill in the blank)

How can giving thanks in all circumstances possibly be God's will for me?

Does He not see,

does He not understand how hard this is?

Paying attention to one word changed my understanding of what God wants from me.

In.

Give thanks in all circumstances, is far different from giving thanks for all circumstances.

Philippians 4:4-8 is an instruction manual for me on how to be thankful in all circumstances. Even the crummy, I don't want to be here, this is not fair, I hate this situation/circumstance ones.

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. 
I am God's child. Because of that, and through His power at work in and through me, I can rejoice, no matter what the circumstance.

Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. 
Trusting Him, especially when I don't understand or like what is going on keeps me much more reasonable than I am when I am working from my own understanding and wisdom.

The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 
"The Lord is at hand." 
This. 
This is enough to bring me peace. To give me something substantial to hold onto and to rejoice about and be thankful for. I face absolutely nothing by myself, even when I am alone. The end of Hebrews 13:5 puts it this way  "...He has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Focusing on "The Lord is at hand" also helps keep anxious thoughts from nesting and making themselves at home in my life. It doesn't necessarily keep them from coming to mind, but it, along with taking everything, big and small and in between, to God in honest, raw and vulnerable prayer keeps anxiety and worry from becoming my lifestyle. (*There was a time a few years ago when a chemical imbalance in my body required some medicinal help to keep anxiety from ruling my life. My faith was strong, my body was out of whack. If you are there, do not allow shame or fear of appearing weak keep you from seeking and getting the help you need to be able to function.)

And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
When I rejoice, when I take everything to Him I experience His peace, even in the midst of chaos and pain. God's peace is a beautiful gift. And it really does surpass all understanding.
Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."
I have also found that thinking about things that are true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, excellent or worthy of praise gives me reasons to be thankful in cruddy circumstances and leaves little room for doubts, ugly thoughts, meanness and anger to find fertile ground to grow.

It wasn't an easy habit to cultivate, and it didn't happen overnight, but with practice it has become a much more natural response, when there is absolutely nothing about the circumstance to be thankful for, to hold fast to and focus on the truth that "the Lord is at hand" and for that, I can give thanks. Always and all ways.

Comments

Popular Posts