living in a fog 334/366

I was late to church this morning. 

My troubles began when I misjudged the time I needed to allow for a couple of things I had to do before leaving the house. Walking out the door I knew it would be close. The time crunch escalated when I had to scrape the heavy layer of frost off all my car windows. Still hopeful, I started driving-only to be greeted by heavy fog on several stretches of the road, squashing all hope of making it on time. I wanted to take several pictures of it while driving, but today I exercised wisdom and good judgement and waited until I was safely parked to capture one.

This morning I was especially mindful of times I've felt like I was living in a fog.

It can be disorienting. Frustrating. Dangerous. Things that are normally easy to see are shrouded. Seeing what's ahead is a challenge, especially when it is so thick you can barely see the hand in front of your face, or the tail lights of the car right in front of you. Things are more complicated if you are on an unfamiliar road. There are places/times when fog is normal, but it can also appear unexpectedly. 

Lessons I've learned to navigate more safely while driving or living in fog include slowing down. Being aware that "normal" practices don't apply in fog situations. Staying alert. Not berating myself for being uncomfortable. Remaining focused on what is in front of me. Stopping if I need to until it clears enough to go on.

Remembering it often comes in "pockets", with breaks of clearness, helps me keep my sanity when I feel like I can't take one more  mile of it. And the most helpful thing: knowing that sooner or later the sun will burn it off and bring clarity...



Comments

Popular Posts