the great fall 307/366

 the great fall?

well, it really wasn't that great

today my walk was fueled by 99.9% discipline, .1% desire

I'm always intent on making it up those 2 steps safely because I've stumbled there

I relaxed mentally when I accomplished that feat today


and fell

forward on the flat sidewalk

I caught myself with my left hand and knee


stunned, I shook my head and wondered 

"what in the world just happened?"

my pride the thing most injured, I quickly pushed myself up

stood

and continued walking,

head down lest I make eye contact with someone who saw me fall- 

at the busiest intersection in town


there is nothing there to trip over

in other places on my 4 mile path there are plenty of things to stumble over

uneven curbs

broken concrete 

crumbling asphalt

but there, where the fall occurred,

nothing, absolutely nothing...except myself

I was praying over something that has the potential to trip me up emotionally but that shouldn't have caused me to fall physically. I'm tired today and I must have not picked my right foot up properly because I drug the toe of my right shoe and lost my balance.

lesson of the day spiritually/emotionally/mentally:
when I think I have passed a danger point and I'm safe, even in the most public places, a fall is possible. Stay alert. 
Getting back up, dusting myself off and continuing is a choice.
Embarrassment won't stop me unless I allow it to,
and if a skinned knee is the worst thing that happens today, I will count it a good day.

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings." 
1 Peter 5:6-9


Comments

Popular Posts