stepping out in faith



A long time ago I made a promise to God. I would not seek out/solicit opportunities to speak, but if He opened a door I would walk through it. It is always interesting to me when someone reaches out and asks me to come share a word with their group. 

People I know have contacted me.

Strangers have contacted me.

Last Tuesday it was a bit of both when an unfamiliar name popped up on my phone via a text with a request to speak at his church. Afterward I realized I know who he is, but to say I know him would be a gross overstatement.

I did what I always do. I asked for time to pray before answering, even though I knew that if my calendar was clear my answer would be yes based on the agreement I made with God when I was young and thought I knew more than I did and was eager to share all of my wisdom. Now that I am older, I am  aware of just how ignorant I am and I am a lot more dependent on listening for direction from God. 

24 hours later I replied that I would come. I was a little concerned because I had less than two weeks to be ready. I like to have more time to pray and prepare. But God is amazing. He proved once again that He will not call me to do anything He will not equip me to do. 

The rough draft was ready the day after I said yes.

The final(ish) product was ready in six days.

All that remains is sharing.

Stepping out in faith is a lot less intimidating when the One who calls you has a track record of being faithful.

Comments

Popular Posts