backpack explored

I was privileged to share a devotion at KCU with some of the people who work in the Ruth building Monday morning, bright and early. I've been praying about what to share since August because originally I was scheduled to speak in September. A COVID exposure changed those plans and I was put on their calendar for Monday, Nov. 1. 

I spend time with Jesus every day. Normally that is where my devo thoughts originate. I prayed for 2 months, five days. At least 66 times. As of Sunday, October 31 at 11:30 pm, 8 hours and 40 minutes before "go" time I had no idea what I was supposed to speak about. I was a little concerned. I asked two friends to pray, trusting that the One who is faithful to provide what I need, when I need it, would come through. I told one when I messaged her "it isn't 8 am yet." I texted the other and told her I might just read the blog post I wrote Sunday night.

As I crawled into bed not 30 minutes later, a few minutes before midnight, and after their prayers, I knew without a doubt where I needed to begin. Backpacks. I trusted God would work out the rest of the details. And I went to sleep. I got up at 7 to do what I needed to do before heading out the door.

As I headed out the door I grabbed my backpack, the one I wrote about the other day. After everyone was gathered in the lobby and seated comfortably I began to share how God chose, this time, to not reveal what I needed to share until 8(ish) hours ahead of time.  Normally I have at least a week. I picked up my backpack and brought up Galatians 6 and how we are to bear one another's burdens and carry our own load, knowing I was to focus on the backpack idea. Instead of simply mentioning what was in my backpack, I began to unload it, one item at a time. Hearing is so much more powerful when accompanied by seeing. There was giggling and smiles about some of my choices, some nodding of heads in agreement of what is essential. The portable heating pad, powered by a battery pack was a surprise to everyone. (I digress, but if you have a bad back or hips and need to sit outside in the cold, this is not a luxury. Get you one.) I talked about being aware of what we put in our backpacks. I ended with reading the end of my blog from Sunday night about the boulder Dax's family has carried and the extra weight added by his passing. We prayed together for them. Some wondered and felt bad about how long it would take me to repack everything. Because I am familiar with it all, and I've done it so often, it's a minute or less job.


When I was leaving one of the women approached me and told me she'd wanted to get up and get me a tissue, but she had seen me take two pocket packages out of my backpack and she didn't want to cause a disturbance by getting up. (I'm sure those of you who read regularly are not surprised I had tears as I shared my heart.) I was appreciative of her thoughtfulness, but it was what came out of her mouth next that got my attention and has haunted my mind the last 26 hours.I knew what the point of my next post would be. 

"Right before you pulled out your parka _______ leaned over and asked 'what else can she possible fit/have in there?' "

We know each one of us is carrying a backpack. What we don't know is how much is stuffed into the one those around us carry. Or how carefully they are required to pack so everything they have to carry fits. What is essential to them might not be so for us. If we had the privilege of being trusted with it all being laid out in front of us, we might be surprised by how much there is and how deep it goes. Lesson reinforced:

Don't judge. 
Be patient. 
Be kind. 
Be compassionate. 
Love well.

Comments

Popular Posts