accidents happen

 dumb
careless
stupid
distracted
yep, those are the words I used to describe  myself this morning

but the truth is:

I am not dumb, 
I placed an online pick up order so I wouldn't have to go into Walmart

I am not careless
I was using my backup camera to avoid anyone who might have pulled in behind me

I am not stupid:
reference pick up rather than in store shopping on Christmas Eve

I was not distracted
I was paying attention to what was going on behind and to the right of me

When I saw I was clear behind and beside, no employees, no customers, I turned the wheel so I could head to the exit

I heard scraping and stopped. I looked in front of the car-nothing. I knew I was clear to the right or behind, but to my left I saw what had been in my blind  spot: a yellow post marking the beginning of the pickup area. I was in spot #1.

 "Great, that pole is anchored in a cement block and I've backed a tire over it." Rather than get out of the car and access the situation, I did what I may or may not have had to do in the past: I pushed down the gas pedal to drive over it completely. More screeching and the car wasn't going anywhere. "Oh no. I'm straddled on it now. I'm going to have to call a tow truck. Which credit card has towing as part of my benefits?" That was my internal conversation in the time it took me to move my foot to the brake and put the car in neutral. "I am so embarrassed. I am probably blocking traffic. What are the people coming in and out going to think" were my thoughts as the car rocked forward after putting it in park. "Wait, am I not stuck anymore? How did that happen?" I pulled forward. "Thank God, no tow truck is needed." I straightened up before backing out and heading home. 

In my driveway I finally assessed the damage

yellow caution pole: 1

front left panel and bumper of blue malibu: -2

smh, big time
driveway conversation:
"Merry Christmas to me" (insert sarcasm)
I'm glad I know who can fix it
I'll take care of the groceries and head out for an estimate.
He's probably not in, with today being Christmas Eve.
and Mr Glancy, Happy New Year" $$$$$$

I was right,
he was closed
I was both disappointed and relieved
I wouldn't have to explain this mishap
and he was with his family

I was minutes from the lake so I went on out 
to calm my frustrations
to clear my thoughts


I sat on the swing and took in deep breaths of fresh air,
I turned toward the sun and basked in it's kiss on my face
and smiled as a gentle breeze wrapped around to embrace me


I heard my own words being spoken as I sat there soaking in the tranquility:
"No one was injured."
"No other car was involved."
"If that's the worst thing that happens today,
it will be a good day."

BTW-Does anyone else see the lamb cloud?
Its face is turned toward us, 
there to the left, 
underneath the sun.
God makes my heart smile.

Comments

Popular Posts