value



I worked the concession stand at the auction tonight as a fundraiser.


One piece of raspberry cobbler was $1.50, an 8 oz. cup of vanilla ice cream was $1, french fries with nacho cheese and a bit of bacon sprinkled on top was $3. Hot dogs and bottled water sold for $1. When all was said and done people had happily handed over a total of $240.


I watched one Home Interior picture go for $25 while a larger one was purchased for $15. Later a smaller one with a flower swag went for $15. It seems size doesn't matter. One metal toolbox went for $10 and a few minutes later three metal ones and a large heavy duty plastic one went as a lot for $10. So numbers don't make a difference. A friend of mine purchased an $80 Longaberger basket for $27. I guess that means "fame" doesn't hold any guarantees of sustained worth either.

I also saw the "fever" that makes people do crazy things- like spend $6 for a box of honey buns you can get at Wal Mart for $3.98.

Irrational.
If I had to sum up the experience with one word, that is what I would say.


Did my friend get a good deal on the basket she bought or did the original purchaser pay too much? Are the honey buns worth $6 or $3.50. Someone paid $5 for the case of water that we ended up selling as individual bottles for $24.

I guess stuff is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it.

There is something else that is irrational to me- when I think of how much God was willing to pay so that I could choose to have a relationship with Him I am overwhelmed. I never want to forget how much He values me.

"But God demonstrates His own love for us in this:
While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
Romans 5:8

And in case you've never been told I want to make sure you know the truth-
you're worth the price He paid too!

Comments

Popular Posts