City Gates (Proverbs 31:23)


I have been dreading this evening for about three weeks.

I received a letter before Thanksgiving informing me 
that the Grayson Chamber of Commerce 
was giving Bill the RE Applegate Award.
This is an award given posthumously to individuals 
who have made an impact on the community.
I was thankful Bill was being honored.
I just wish it was an award he was receiving in person, 
not one that the family was receiving on his behalf.

This morning I woke up with a verse from Proverbs on my mind. 
I have mulled it over all day.
I don't know why, but it gave me a different perspective,
more of an appreciation for the gathering and award.
I was not as fearful of the dinner.
There were thirteen of us attending because Bill was being honored.
I had to fill out an information sheet that was read tonight 
as Elizabeth, Sarah, Jonathan, Andrew, Ruth,
(Deborah in spirit) and I 
stood in front of a room full of people.
As we returned to our seats, 
Bill received a standing ovation in honor of his life's service.
What a privilege to be married to a man whose memory brings honor.
"Her husband is known in the gates
    when he sits among the elders of the land."*
Proverbs 31:23
 (*The men who sat at the gates were leaders, 
men of honor and respect.)

Comments

Popular Posts