thoughts about "The Giver "

I am a voracious reader. 
I would definitely rather read a book than watch a movie for entertainment.
I can easily down a book an evening, or at least, I could before.
Several people have asked recently if I have read the book "The Giver."
I think I may have read it in high school.
Right now the only thing I seem to be able to read is the Bible. 

Recently I have had even less interest than normal in watching movies, but tonight when Gina and Spencer asked if we (Andrew, Bre, Sarah, Kourtney and I) would like to watch "The Giver" with them I thought, "why not?" 

I do not know what the beliefs are of the author nor of the screen writer 
but I do know that there were lines that spoke to my heart tonight.

"A dwelling is not a home. A home is more."
I am thankful that this house I dwell in is a home. 
The people I love and those who love me and share life with me here 
are what make it a home.
Jesus gives His believers a promise in John 14:1-3
"I go to prepare a place for you..." 
He is preparing a place, a home, not just a dwelling, for us- 
and one day I am going to live there with Him.
"Feelings are fleeting, for the moment.
Emotions are deeper, more lasting, calling from deep inside"
This reminds me of the difference between happiness and joy.
Happiness is fleeting.
Joy is deeper, more lasting, it comes from a place deep inside.
Joy is part of the fruit of the Spirit of God.
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law."
Galatians 5:22-23
I would rather have joy than happiness any day.
"Knowing what something is, 
is not the same as knowing how something feels."
Knowing God loves me and desires to have a relationship with me and actually experiencing a loving relationship with God are vastly different. 
He will get only as intimate as I allow Him to.
"You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life."
John 5:39-40 
The people Jesus was speaking to knew about God, 
they knew the Scriptures, but they did not KNOW God.
"Faith is seeing beyond..."
There is more to life than we see or hear or feel or touch.
"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."
2 Corinthians 4:18 
"We Live by faith, not by sight..." from 2 Corinthians 5
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?" 
John 11:25-26
"Memories are not just about the past, they are about our future"
Memories are what I have left of Bill. He is not my future, but my memories of him will allow me to continue to be thankful for, appreciate and enjoy him and the relationship we shared.
"I didn't want to go back, I didn't want the pain"
Sometimes my mind takes me where I do not want to go.
I may not be able to control where my thoughts take me initially  but don't have to stay where I don't want to be.

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice.  Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."
Philippians 4:4-8
"With love comes hope and faith..."
"So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; 
but the greatest of these is love."
1 Corinthians 13:13
"We are living a life of shadows..."
"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. 
Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known."
1 Corinthians 13:12

The movie ended with 
"The Giver has led us here..."
and "here" included a place where people were singing a Christmas carol. 
I was so wrapped up in the thoughts that were swirling about my brain 
that I cannot be positive, but I think it was Silent Night. 
I will be watching the movie again.
And someday, when I can read for pleasure again, I will read the book.  
I am thankful that every day I can read The Book-
the Bible, 
that teaches me about the ultimate Giver.

"For God so loved the world, 
that He gave His only Son, 
that whoever believes in Him should not perish 
but have eternal life. 
For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, 
but in order that the world might be saved through Him." 
John 3:16-17


Comments

Popular Posts