memories


Throughout this past week,
as I was at Sarah and Kourtney's helping them get ready to move,
I thought of things Bill and I have done when we went to visit them
and how we were planning to visit our out of town children more often.

I thought about what tasks he would have enjoyed.
I thought about the encouraging words he would have offered.
I thought about how excited he would be for Kourtney with his new job.
I thought about how excited he would be to have the Funk family close.

Sarah, Kourtney and I finished packing "almost last minute" stuff 
and cleaning the house at about 1:00 A.M.
We fell into bed.
We got a little bit of sleep.

At 7:45 there was a knock on the front door.
There were people in and out of the house,
amidst our final truck packing until we left at 10:30.
(Target time was 8:00 A.M. We are an ambitious family.)

Three stops for final goodbyes.
One stop to fill the van.
One stop for breakfast for Sarah and I. 
Actually on the road 11:30 A.M. EST

Potty Break.
Change of drivers.
Talking. Laughing. 
Text from family about providing food to help with the move.

So thankful.
Thinking we will unload the truck Monday.
Thinking "6:00 will be good, Bill should be home from work..."
Tears, as I am driving, realizing that is never happening again.

I have been thinking about Bill and his needs,
practicing that for 38 years.
Strange how hard it was at first.
Strange how hard it is to break.

I am thankful for the memories our children have of their dad.
I am thankful for the memories our grandchildren have of their grandpa.
I am thankful for the memories friends have of Bill.
I am thankful for the memories of him that I share with other people.

I am thankful for the memories that bring tears. 
I am thankful for the memories that bring smiles.
I am thankful for the memories that bring laughter.
I am thankful for the memories that are mine alone.


"So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy,complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind.Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name,so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."
Philippians 2:1-11

Comments

Popular Posts