Lake Therapy 247/366

they have hung heavy,
much like a winter woolen cloak settling over me,
memories of burying Bill have filled my mind 
on this warm summer day
so after soccer practice I escaped to the lake

This is the bench Bill and I sat on when we needed to be alone to hash things out.
It is where I started out this evening
because "my place" was occupied by a couple when I arrived.

When the couple left, I moved to "my" gazebo.

a family walking
a couple swinging
boat motors humming
crickets chirping
cicadas buzzing

fish splashing
whippoorwills serenading
water lapping the shoreline
fishermen talking
shadows falling

a dog barking
swing chains creaking
birds calling
dusk approaches
quiet noises fill the almost night air



the family
and the couple left
so it's just me, 
the Colonel
and Lori in the gazebo now

















I've come to escape by reading,
but a pontoon boat passes
and memories crowd out reading 
tears leave trails down my cheeks
on this late summer evening hour 

something about being by the water brings order to my jumbled mind
quiets my shouting thoughts
calms my swirling emotions
slows my racing heart
soothes my weary soul

I am loathe to leave this place
but know it's not wise or safe to stay here alone as night approaches
tires in the gravel behind me alert me
it's time to go
goodbye for now peaceful respite

Comments

  1. My heart goes out to you during these times of memories.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

thank you for taking the time to share

Popular Posts