pansy love

"You are such a pansy" was an insult when I was growing up.

Nobody I knew, who had any gumption or self respect, wanted to be called a pansy. 

It indicated extreme weakness.

Now that I am a grown up, my opinion has changed.

Drastically.

Why?

Because now I know that though they look fragile and delicate, pansies are actually a very hardy flower. The only flowers I know that rival them for early spring blooming/thriving outdoors are crocus. I have had some hardy pansies bloom with snow covering them.

I am very much a proponent of seeking joy rather than happiness in my life. The reason is that being happy depends largely on circumstances while joy is a choice, regardless of the situation. Pansies are my exception. I seek them because they make me happy regardless of what is going on. They make gray days sunnier and sunny days even brighter still. Everytime I see a pansy, I smile, from the inside out. 

And so, other than the eggs I talked about yesterday, pansies are another thing I actively hunt for yearly. I always begin in February, knowing it is too early, but hopeful because I know once they show up, the blooming season is about to commence.

I spent much much than I normally do on three plants Friday morning. I hadn't been able to find any in my usual haunts and I found a greenhouse that had plants.I treated myself to three, hoping they would soon be available other places. I was rewarded today for my semi patience. I went to Walmart for a few groceries and behold, their pansies were in! 

I was able to get a package of viola's (I think of them as baby pansies) to put in a basket a friend gave me for my driveway porch and a container full of purple ones, already potted for just a little more than I paid for the three varied ones I got Friday. Now there's a little bit of happiness on all three of my porches. 



pansy:
hardy
beautiful
deceptively strong
bringing happiness to hearts
encouraging smiling faces
the kind of life I want to live 

Comments

Popular Posts