new love, old love


I have three boards in my kitchen
I use them to display pictures of people I love
and notes of events I plan to attend

these two couples do not know each other
but they share space in my heart
and on my magnetic board of important people

they also share something else:
love 
and commitment to one another

the couple on the left are dear friends from Ohio
Carole and Don are getting ready to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary
they are one of two couples who mentored Bill and I
Carole, since Bill's death, 
sends a card every few weeks reminding me of her love and prayers

the couple on the right are Abigail and Trevor
I have known Abby since before she was born
she played soccer with Ruth in High school
she has been on KCU's women's soccer team the last four years
she and Trevor are getting married this summer

as I passed my board and realized I had put them next to each other
my heart smiled
as I contemplated the beautiful picture they make together

young love, 
fresh and eager to begin life together,
I pray they have a couple to mentor them as Don and Carole mentored us

mature love,
after 50 years of weathering life together their love is still fresh and strong,
I thank God for their example 


love is beautiful no matter how young or old it is


Comments

Popular Posts