shaking things up

thank goodness for electrical tape

Disclaimer:
I admit, my mind works in strange ways
today I am thinking about comfort and "shaking it up"

sometimes I am brave enough to choose shaking it up 
and when I do, 
I find a different, often more full, flavor in life

consider how many condiments you shake before adding them to your food:
ketchup
mustard
ranch
Italian
BBQ sauce
oil and vinegar
I shake them all
Why? Because I want the blend of flavors that shaking adds.

I know too much comfort is not a good thing
but sometimes I don't act on what I know to be true
overindulging in comfort food causes my clothes to not fit comfortably
but does it stop me from overindulging?
much to my chagrin I must admit,
the answer to that question is:
not often enough

sitting on my reclining couch, 
feet up, is not good for me either
I get up, body stiff, when I have been sitting comfortable too long
today I unknowingly had my computer cord looped under the footrest
and when I stood up the closing mechanism almost cut the cord in two

I have friends I am completely comfortable with
who sometimes invite me to meet new people 
or try new things and I resist
because I don't want to get out of my comfort zone
but when I trust them, allowing my life to be shaken up,
I find that life is richer and my comfort zone is, 
more often than not, expanded 

sometimes there have been conversations I have needed to pursue
and haven't
because I didn't want to shake things up
even though it wasn't real and couldn't last,
the appearance of total comfort 
was more important to me
than the health of the relationship

too much comfort is a real thing
and it is at least as dangerous,
if not more, than shaking things up

I am home alone this afternoon,
not at all uncomfortable
maybe it is a good time to shake things up and try "Just Dance" 

Comments

Popular Posts