scars


I have been thinking a lot about scars lately
I have more than a few
some are old,
some are newer
each has a story,
each is a testament 
that I survived some kind of trauma

I have one from the time I made my brother mad and he threw a screwdriver
that stuck in the tender flesh behind my right knee
I have some from surgeries
others from injuries caused 
by carelessness on my part
or on the part of another
and accidents that were no ones fault

some are obvious, some are hidden
physical scars are visible reminders
of a battle fought and survived 
if we live long enough and are engaged in life
we all end up with them

not all scars are physical though
some are mental or emotional or spiritual
though others may not see these scars
we know they are there 
and if  scar tissue builds up it can make them more painful

scar sources vary
again, some are the result of carelessness
ours or someone else's
but some are the result of straight up meanness
intended cruelty

regardless of the source
scars are a part of our individuality 
I count them beautiful badges of courage,
witnesses to the ability of our bodies to heal or be healed
not so we can be like we were before
but so that we can continue to be,
sometimes better than we were before

our scars do not define us
unless we make them our focus
rather,
who we are in Christ defines us
what we allow God to do with our lives 
(scars included)
is up to us, He is waiting to make beautiful things 


Comments

Popular Posts