Beauty or Beast


"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

There is much beauty in our world.
But if I am honest I must confess
I am guilty of misinterpreting it and
I have often missed it-
too busy
too selfish
too harried
too hurried
too distracted
too centered on the temporary
to notice
the steady
the constant
the consistent
the slow paced
the recurring yet varied
the never changing, unseen, eternal

"Then the Lord opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw..." 
Numbers 22:31 

"the Lord opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw..." 
2 Kings 6:17

Sometimes it is easy to see that life is beautiful.
Sometimes it is all too obvious that life can be a beast.
I want to find the beauty in the beast.
I want to see, I want to live, I want to walk life 
as God sees and defines it.

Father, please continue to open my eyes 
so I might see more clearly,
so I might recognize:
what is real
what is lasting
what is unseen
what is important
what is beneath the surface.

Father, please continue to open my eyes
so that I am not distracted by,
so that I am not deceived by: 
what is artificial
what is temporary
what is "in my face"
what claims to be urgent
what is flaunted as being "reality".
I echo Paul's prayer, for myself and fellow believers:
"having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, 
that you may know what is the hope to which He has called you, 
what are the riches of His glorious inheritance in the saints,
and what is the immeasurable greatness of His power toward us who believe, 
according to the working of His great might that He worked in Christ 
when He raised Him from the dead 
and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, 
far above all rule and authority and power and dominion,
and above every name that is named, 
not only in this age but also in the one to come." 
Ephesians 1:18-21

Comments

Popular Posts