the tears don't hurt, but the ache does

Anne of Green Gables premiered Dec. 1, 1985 
as a two part mini series.
It is the story of Anne Shirley,
a thirteen year old red headed orphan girl
with a vivid imagination and the insatiable urge to talk.
Anne finds a home with Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert,
strong, quiet, set in their ways siblings
who originally wanted a boy to help with the farm.
 Anne and its sequels are some of my favorite movies.
They make me laugh, they make me cry, they make me think.
At one point, as Marilla and Matthew stand together alone, 
on the platform watching the train take Anne away to college,
Matthew says something about Anne being a lucky mistake.
Marilla, the emotionally reticent one, replies
"It was not a mistake. It was Providence.
He knew we needed her."
Love is powerful.
Love changed Anne's life.
Love changed the lives of Marilla and Matthew.
Anne is home and Matthew dies in her arms in the field,
but not before he assures her she was just what he wanted.
Anne says something powerful and true
to Marilla the night of Matthew's funeral:
"hold me please, the tears don't hurt, but the ache does".

That resonates with me.
My heart's cry to God is
"hold me please,
 the tears don't hurt, 
but the ache does".

God's love changed my life.
God's  love changes my life.

"Father of the fatherless and 
protector of widows
    is God in His holy habitation."
Psalm 68:5

"He will tend His flock like a shepherd;
He will gather the lambs in His arms;
He will carry them in His bosom,
and gently lead those that are with young."
Isaiah 40:11

"The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want...
He leads me...
I will fear no evil, 
for You are with me...
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows...
I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."
excerpts from Psalm 23

Jesus said:
"I am the Good Shepherd.
I know My own and My own know Me,
just as the Father knows Me and I know the Father;
and I lay down my life for the sheep."
John 10:14-15

Comments

Popular Posts