sleepless nights and a late night conversation with Korah

Last night Korah Lily was having a hard time going to sleep.
She and Willow share a room, Willow was snoring.
She went into her momma's room and her daddy was snoring.
Noell and Kaelyn were already asleep, she was lonely.
She had just one other option:
Sarah told her she could come down and lay quietly on the couch.
Since I was still awake she chose that option. 


And the conversation started. I was researching health insurance options. Now I wish I had closed my computer and given her my full attention, but I didn't, I kept scanning and half listening as she shared her six year old woes. 
When talking about the snoring
 she asked if I had ever had that problem- 
I told her yes, grandpa used to snore. 

"Grandma, I miss grandpa..."
"What do you miss most about grandpa?"
"Him being here."

She talked about leaving Illinois to come here to live and how hard it was. She told me she cried the first night and the second night. She cried every night for a long time.
"We saw Ti Ti everyday." 
Ti Ti was their best friend. She and Noell and Kaelyn miss her.

She was laying on the couch, facing our family picture wall.
"Sometimes I just sit here and look at Grandpa's picture. 
The one in the wedding."

"I really, really miss grandpa...."

She talked about trips to Michigan.
She told me they are going to Florida for Willow's birthday.
"I've never been to Florida. What is the temperature there?"
She asked me when we are going to Florida. 
We are planning a beach family vacation. 

"My dad is thinking about baptizing me soon."
I told her her momma and aunts and uncles were baptized here.
She wanted to know if Grandpa and I were. 
I was baptized in Tallmadge.
Grandpa was baptized in Akron.

"This wasn't really his home..." (She is a smart little girl.)
And we talked about heaven and what Grandpa might be doing.
"When you go to heaven, you will get to see grandpa."
I told her when I get to heaven I want to see Jesus, if I get to see grandpa, that will be great, but I really want to see Jesus.

"If my mom went to heaven I would be sad. 
Really, really sad. 
You would be sad too. 
And you would say 
'Why did two people in my family have to die?' "

"When you go to heaven I will cry."

"I am just so sad about grandpa that I just can't go to sleep."

Korah Lily and I have a lot in common.


Comments

Popular Posts