Nurture or Nature?


There has been much debate over how our behaviors are formed- 
nurture (how we are raised)
or nature (it is in our DNA).

When I see some of the things my children did and do, 
and as I observe the lives of my grandchildren 
I can see both arguments being played out before my eyes. 

How does a person become 
Negative
A grudge keeper
An aggravator
A complainer
Wishy washy
A grumbler
Demanding
Pride filled
Impatient
Calloused
Hardened
Hopeless
Greedy
Foolish
Selfish
Bitter
Harsh
Mean

How does a person become 
Positive
Compassionate
A peacemaker
An encourager
Grace filled
Steadfast
Sensitive
Moldable
Forgiving
Thankful
Hopefull
Selfless
Humble
Patient
Giving
Wise
Kind

Let's be honest- 
we get good at we practice.

My negative behaviors are not a life sentence.
As a believer in Jesus,
they are not acceptable.
I have a new nature, 
created after the likeness of God.
I am called to walk as Jesus walked.
How do I do that?

Practice.

Practice is not always convenient.
Practice is not always comfortable.
Practice can be hot and dirty and tiring.
To get better, I have to push past my present ability.
Even when, 
perhaps especially when, 
I don't feel like it.

“Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?  As for everyone who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice, I will show you what they are like. They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete.”
Luke 6:46-49

Comments

Popular Posts