stars



This is one of the beautiful pieces Sarah added to my home. 

As I read it's message this afternoon I thought back to Salekhard. 
One of the things I missed while I was there was seeing stars. 
I know the sun is a star, but I don't think of it as a star.
I missed seeing the little stars twinkle in the darkness.
If my next trip is at a time when it gets dark 
I will see stars, and maybe the northern lights as well.
Beauty in the darkness. 

That led me to thinking about life.

About how significant a role believers play here on earth.

We are called to be the light of the world.
Of the world.
Not just in places where we are surrounded by other lights.
We are called to shine in the darkness.
To live so that God receives glory.

“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven."
Matthew 5:14-16

Do everything without grumbling or arguing  so that you may become blameless and pure, 'children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.' Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life. "
Philippians 2:14-16
Photograph courtesy NASA
found on National Geographic website
I also thought about people who seek to be seen as the Big Star. And people who are idolized as the Big Star, some through no desire of their own. In the presence of the Son of God, they will be like stars in the presence of the sun. I am content being one of a huge number of believers shining for Him. Held steady by Him. Confident He knows what He is doing. I don't have to figure it out. To be in His presence and not be seen is more than okay with me. May it always be so.
"Praise the Lord.
How good it is to sing praises to our God,
how pleasant and fitting to praise Him!...
He heals the brokenhearted
and binds up their wounds.
He determines the number of the stars 
and calls them each by name."
Psalm 147:1-4


Comments

Popular Posts