Happy Birthday to me...

How do you celebrate your birthday and bury a loved one on the same day?
I don't know how you would do it, and I hope you never have to do it,
but as this day draws to a close I can tell you how I did it.

I awoke this morning and spent time with the Lord before I faced anyone else.

"Happy birthday to you,
happy birthday to you,
happy birthday dear Donnette,
happy birthday to you."

I smiled as my mother in law greeted me with a hug, a kiss and a birthday card as I entered the kitchen this morning to grab some breakfast.  

I left early for private family visitation before public calling hours began at 10:00am, followed immediately by the memorial service and burial of my beloved, ornery Aunt Judy. 

I contemplated a thought that entered my head as I drove to Barberton. "Death is normal, but death is not natural." When God created man, death was not part of His intention. I think that is part of why it is so painful.

I faced today knowing there would be tears of sadness and tears of joy.
I prepared with good Kleenex.
I appreciated each Happy Birthday I received.
I accepted each hug offered.
I sought beauty.
I took moments as they came.
I put myself in "time outs".
I trusted my cousin and went with her to a surprise destination.
I spent a few hours in a canoe for the first time.
I refused to dwell on the sadness. Accept it, yes. Dwell on it, no.
I grasped and held tightly the moments of happiness that permeated my day.
I cried when I needed to.
I smiled when I could.
I even laughed.

In short:
I shared life with people I love.
My beautiful day ended with this message from Siberia:

Selah, Deborah, Abigail
Gabriel

Comments

Popular Posts