hitting the wall


Once upon a time, long, long ago
in a land far away
I ran the mile.
Competitively.
True story.

There a came a point in almost every race,
especially if I heard footsteps approaching from behind,
that I hit "the wall"
the point when your mind tries to convince you
there is no way you are going to be able to finish the race

at that time,
it doesn't matter how much or how long you have trained
it doesn't matter that you have run farther in practice
you are dogged with negative thoughts 
the wall speaks loud and clear:

"you are not prepared"
"this is too hard"
"you are tired" 
"no one else is having this much trouble"
"you will never make it, the finish line is too far away"

none of that is true, 
but when your lungs are burning
your legs feel like jelly
and you hear someone gaining on you
it is hard to think rationally-training has to kick in and take charge

any friends who have hit the wall know that when you push through,
when you keep putting one foot in front of the other,
something special happens-
you get your second wind 
and a runner's feet will grow wings 

tonight I hit a wall
my brain was worn out
my body and mind hurt
I was tired of doing the right thing
I was caught up in thinking 
"life is going to beat me to a pulp
one small annoyance/pain/injury/set back at a time"

a line from a hallmark channel movie caught my ear,
it reminded me of training I have been doing for years:
"when you are going in a new direction each step doesn't have to be perfect, 
you just have to keep taking them"
and three scripture passages with clear direction came to mind:

"Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 
Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, 
for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 
For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light.”
Jesus speaking in Matthew 11:28-30

"Have you not known? Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint or grow weary;
His understanding is unsearchable.
He gives power to the faint,
and to Him who has no might He increases strength.
Even youths shall faint and be weary,
and young men shall fall exhausted;
but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings like eagles;
they shall run and not be weary;
they shall walk and not faint."
Isaiah 40:28-31

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses,
let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely,
and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,
looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith,
who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross,
despising the shame,
and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God."
Hebrews 12:1-2

this second wind is pretty sweet! 


Comments

Popular Posts