community

I thought I had experienced a broken heart.
Maybe more than one.
Now I know my experiences had included:
torn
bruised
chipped
battered
but never broken
never shattered
never shredded
 
until now
 
I never knew my heart could pound like a jack hammer 
with the frequency it does
and keep on beating.

I never knew my chest could be squeezed by cosmic vise grips 
and yet continue expanding and compressing, 
as my lungs function.

I never knew that I could ride such a wild roller coaster 
of thoughts and attitudes and emotions
and still be able to function.

rejoice: to be glad; take delight
mourn: to feel or express sorrow or grief.

I never knew that I could do both
-rejoice and mourn-
mentally
physically
emotionally
spiritually
with such intensity
for a prolonged period

until now

"Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn."
Romans 12:15

the power of

being "on purpose"
building relationships,
creating community,
the power of
having people to rejoice and mourn with
has never been more evident
than it is right now



photo by Daud Sumule

Comments

Popular Posts